Beginning Design Studio II
Instructor: Rich Shiga
FINAL REVIEW REQUIREMENTS
- 1/4 = 1-0 scale
- Three Materials (two for intervention, one for site)
- Two Plans
o One Site Plan (1/8 = 1-0 scale)
o One Floor Plan (3/8 = 1-0)
- Two Section / Elevations
o 3/8 = 1-0
o Locations of cuts should be carefully considered
- Sequential Perspective Series
o A minimum of three perspectival studies, in sequence
o Should be of approach, arrival and view looking out from within
o May utilize a variety of graphic techniques (photo collage, digital collage, etc)
o Should be a minimum of 18 x 18
- Exploded Axonometric Detail Study
o Should further examine a detail within your design
o Detail may be a tectonic detail, or a spatial detail
o Scale of axonometric is to be determined by scope of detail chosen (review with instructor)
Composite Presentation Panel
- As weve done in the past, you are to compose your individual drawings and photos onto one 30x42 sheet in such a manner that the graphic dynamic becomes synonymous with, and expressive of the primary qualities of your design
Written Statement / Verbal Presentation
- Should address, CLEARLY AND CONCISELY, the following questions:
o How are you understanding Observation?
o What is the nature of the relationship between Observer and Observed?
o What is your experiential goal? (in terms of how a user would feel, and what sense of place-ment they have)
o Why did you choose to engage your particular area of the site? What does it offer that you can play off of?
o What aspects/qualities of the site are you ultimately observing?
o How does the design of the approach fuel / delay / etc the ultimate understanding / relationship your architecture provides?
o When do you feel as if you have arrived? What is that moment like (dramatic, subdued, delayed, immediate)?
- You will not be reading this, or pinning this up at your review. You should, however, use it as a guideline for your verbal presentation.
- If you e-mail these to me prior to Thursday, June 2nd, I will be able to offer feedback.
- You are required to include all necessary process information in your presentation
- Site analysis must be included in your presentation
- You should have a (small) copy of the site aerial photo, and existing site photos in your presentation
- It is recommended that you complete your model first, then the individual drawings, then the 30x42 presentation panel.
- Presentation MUST be setup / pinned up by on Friday, June 3rd. Layout of SH212 to be determined. Rich Shiga to coordinate.
- Plan out and manage your time VERY carefully!
- Also review the Thoughts on Final Review Preparation and Processing